Call for Papers:
Second British Academy Publishing Workshop by the University of Leicester hosted by the University of Economics, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Funded by The British Academy
10th-12th September 2019
University of Economics Ho Chi Minh City
59C Nguyen Dinh Chieu, Ward 6, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
We are pleased to announce the call for papers for the Second British Academy Publishing Workshop for early career researchers (ecrs) organised by the University of Leicester and hosted by the University of Economics, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam which will take place between the 10 – 12th September 2019. This year’s workshop is the 2nd Publishing Workshop basing on the success of last year’s workshop (1st Publishing Workshop – http://acbes.ueh.edu.vn/acbes2018/publishing-workshop/).
This year’s workshop is themed around creativity, entrepreneurship and innovation in the economy and we welcome proposals for papers broadly based around these topics.
Creativity, entrepreneurship and innovation are increasingly seen as crucial to economic development and growth. In response to this Government’s in the Central and South East Asian regions have been producing new economic strategies aimed at stimulating creativity in their economies.
The workshop is scheduled for the 10 – 12th September immediately before the Asia Conference on Business and Economic Studies (ACBES), on 13th – 14th September 2019 (http://acbes.ueh.edu.vn/). This allows participants attending both events to save travel costs.
The workshops will be divided into three sessions: improving the manuscript for submission; surgery and reviewing; grant capture. As part of the surgery and reviewing, participants will be asked to read and comment on a small number of their peers papers.
The workshop sessions will support ECRs to:
1) prepare high quality manuscripts;
2) publish their work by subjecting their draft papers to rigorous review ahead of submission to high impact English journals;
3) explain how to prepare and answer to a request for review;
4) cultivate professional networks and mentorship: the networking sessions will enable ECRs from the Global South to get to know the UK academics and associated editors;
5) understand grant capture mechanisms and receive information and advice on the drafting of grant applications
After the workshops, participants are invited to submit their work to the RaW platform hosted by the University of Leicester. RaW is an online platform based at the University of Leicester, which enables ECRs to submit papers on a broad range of business/ management topics for review by peers and senior academics before a “real” journal submission.
ECRs wishing to attend should submit an abstract relevant to the theme of the workshop and CV (max 2 pages) to Dr Martin Quinn (firstname.lastname@example.org) by the 28th June 2019. To be eligible participants must be within 10 years of PhD completion, excluding career breaks due to parental and sick leave, and working in Southeast and Central Asian Universities, regardless of their nationality. The events will be free of charge, but the participants will have to cover their travel costs to attend. We have five travel fund scholarships available. Those wishing to have their costs covered need to make an application to Dr Quinn consisting of a one page motivational letter, to be submitted by the 28th June 2019.
Dr Marta Gasparin, Dr Martin Quinn and Dr Fabian Frenzel will be involved in selecting the attendants, the main criteria for selection concern potential for publication in ranked journals, which will include:
– Quality of the proposed contribution to theory and practice
– Appropriateness of the research method
– Development and execution of the research
– Value of the findings in contributing to practices (managerial or policy makers)
Upon acceptance, the authors will be invited to develop their abstract into a full paper (maximum 10,000 words) and submit this by the 15th August.
Those wishing to attend the ACBES 2019 (2nd Asia Conference on Business and Economic Studies, please follow the instruction at http://acbes.ueh.edu.vn/submission/ to make the separated submission for the conference. The deadline for submission is 30th June. The selection for the Conference is separated from the Workshop, it is made by the Committee of the Conference. For more information, please visit: acbes.ueh.edu.vn, or email: email@example.com
The workshop will be hosted at the University of Economics Ho Chi Minh City
- Dr Marta Gasparin (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Dr Martin Quinn (email@example.com)
- Dr Fabian Frenzel (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Prof Su Dinh Thanh (email@example.com)
- Dr Canh Nguyen (firstname.lastname@example.org)